The Caribbean Cultural Institute (CCI) Fellowship program fosters art projects and research that advance cultural development and scholarship in the Caribbean and its diasporas. Through research and production-based art fellowships, the program cultivates new ideas that challenge traditional conceptions of Caribbean art, generates innovative study on the region, and reflects upon the contemporary state of Caribbean art and thought. The CCI Fellowship program is intended to support artists, cultural practitioners, and scholars from the Caribbean and the Caribbean diaspora whose projects would benefit from access to PAMM’s institutional resources.
In 2023, the CCI will provide three fellowships: CCI Artist Fellowship, CCI Research Fellowship, and CCI + Women Photographers International Archive (WOPHA) Fellowship. All programs will take place between September 2023 and January 2024. The Artist Fellowship invites an artist to live and work in Miami for up to two months. The Research Fellowship provides an opportunity for scholars to develop projects that connect with PAMM’s Caribbean Art Collection. The CCI + WOPHA Fellowship will support women-identifying and non-binary artists working primarily on photography to develop their practice through the active engagement with Miami’s cultural ecosystem and participation in public programs.
This fellowship is intended for emerging to mid-career Caribbean artists and cultural practitioners, working across a range of disciplines and media, who are based in the region or living in the diaspora. This is an opportunity for the development of artistic practice via studio work, institutional collaborations, and/or public programs. The CCI will provide access to PAMM’s curatorial resources, networks, and institutional support. The Artist Fellow will be invited to be in Miami for up to two months, and will be provided with studio space and accommodation.
This fellowship is intended for Caribbean researchers, scholars, or curators—at any stage in their careers—who are based in the Caribbean region or its diaspora. An applicant’s research or practice should advance the study of visual culture and contemporary art in the Caribbean region and/or its diaspora. The Fellow will be able to develop their own research, and engage with PAMM’s Caribbean art collection. The CCI will support object-led research into PAMM’s Caribbean art collection to further scholarship on the visual arts of the region and share the collection with broader audiences. The Fellow will produce an essay that will be published on the CCI website.
CCI + Women Photographers International Archive (WOPHA) Fellowship
This fellowship is open to emerging to mid-career women and non-binary photographers of African and/or Indigenous heritage based in Miami, the Caribbean, or its diasporas. During the fellowship period, the selected fellow will focus on the production of new body of work or expanding an ongoing project. The fellow will be able to develop their photographic practice* through mentorship and participation in public programs and activities. Together, CCI + WOPHA will provide institutional support as well as access to their curatorial resources and networks. This year, the selected artist may participate in the international symposium “On the Edge of Visibility,” which will take place at Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) in October 19-20, 2023. For more information on WOPHA and the symposium, see: https://wopha.org/. The selected CCI + WOPHA Fellow will receive production funds, a stipend, and an honorarium for participating in the symposium. If the selected Fellow is not currently based in Miami, CCI + WOPHA will provide round-trip airfare to Miami in October, coinciding with the dates of the symposium, in addition to per diem and accommodation for a period of two weeks, as needed.
* In this context, photographic practices include, but are not limited to, creating images with or without cameras, automated and computational processes, augmented photography, and collecting, archiving, or circulating images.
The CCI Fellowship program is open to international and national Caribbean artists, cultural practitioners, curators, researchers, and scholars. Please note that the Museum cannot provide visas, nor can it sponsor international applicants. All international participants in the program must secure their own visas prior to commencing the fellowship.
Applications for the 2023 CCI Fellowship programs is now CLOSED.
How to apply:
- Complete the 2023 CCI Fellowship Application Form in SlideRoom.
- Submit the requested materials according to the category of fellowship for which you are applying. CCI recommends submitting all application materials in English and in PDF format.
Application materials for the 2023 CCI Artist Fellowship and 2023 CCI + WOPHA Fellowship:
- Cover letter and Curriculum vitae submitted in one PDF. The cover letter must state your interest in the program and why PAMM is uniquely suited to your fellowship objectives. The Curriculum vitae must include education, professional experience, honors, awards, and publications, if applicable. The entire document should be no more than 6 pages in total.
- Artist Statement (500 words max).
- Proposal, Projected Budget, and Timeline in one PDF document (of no more than 5 pages). The written Proposal describing your idea for the fellowship should be 500 words maximum. Please also include full name and contact information of two referees.
- Portfolio (Up to 3 media files. Proposal images should be submitted in a single PDF document).
Application materials for the 2023 CCI Research Fellowship:
- Cover letter and Curriculum vitae submitted as a single PDF. The cover letter must state your interest in the program and why PAMM is uniquely suited to your fellowship objectives. The Curriculum vitae must include education, professional experience, honors, awards, and publications, if applicable. The entire document should be no more than 6 pages in total.
- Research proposal (1,000 words max), proposed project timeline, and the full name and contact information of two referees. Please submit all information in a single PDF. If you need more information on the PAMM Caribbean Collection, please send an email with your request to email@example.com.
- Proposal images should be submitted in a single PDF document.
- Projected budget.
- Two recent writing samples submitted in one PDF document.
The deadline for the submission of all 2023 CCI Fellowships application materials is 11:59pm (EST) on June 15, 2023.
For questions about the CCI Fellowship program or application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the CCI will not be able to provide technical assistance related to the use of the SlideRoom platform. If you experience technical issues, please contact them directly at: http://www.slideroom.com/contact.html